I love all of the recipes I included in my first cookbook, The New Nourishing, but this is one of my favorites. With tons of flavor from butternut squash, black beans, guacamole, and a tahini chipotle sauce, you can make a (totally plant-based/vegan) meal out of this plate of nachos.
Vegetable Loaded Butternut Nachos
Plant-based/Vegan Nachos that actually taste good. Made with roasted butternut squash, black beans, and tahini chipotle sauce.
- 2 cups butternut squash cut into small 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon dried and ground chipotle or cayenne pepper
- tortilla chips
- 1 cup Cooked black beans or BBQ Black Beans (from The New Nourishing)
- salt to taste
Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 1/3 cup tahini mixed well
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the pepper can
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1/2 cup guacamole or avocado mashed with salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo or fresh salsa
- 1/4 cup Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- 3 spring onions/scallions thinly sliced
- a baking tray lined with baking parchment
Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash cubes with the oil, ground chipotle or cayenne pepper and a sprinkling of salt to taste. Spread out evenly on a baking tray and roast in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes until golden and tender.
To make creamy chipotle sauce, place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend together with 1/3 cup of water until smooth. Add more water, if needed, to reach the desired consistency.
Turn the oven temperature down to 350°F. Spread the tortilla chips out on the lined baking tray – enough to fill the tray generously in a thin layer. Scatter over the roasted butternut and then the black beans, spreading them out evenly across the tray. Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes.
Remove the tray from the oven and top the nachos with small dollops of guacamole or mashed avocado and pico de gallo or salsa, a drizzle of chipotle tahini sauce and a scattering of spring onions/scallions. Serve immediately either directly from the tray or transfer to a large plate.