Romesco Sauce + Roasted Nourish Bowls
0 Flares 0 Flares ×
This is the formula for a standard lunch around here:
- Gather vegetables. I usually roast a bunch of vegetables at the beginning of the week so I can easily reach for them for lunches and dinners. I’ll also include something green like wilted spinach or kale
- Get some protein. I pick easy plant proteins like chickpeas, black beans or lentils.
- Add some grain. Barley, brown rice, quinoa, wheat berries, etc. – all add substance and texture.
- Sauce it up.This is what makes the bowl. A good sauce is essential to a satisfying nourish bowl situation. My favorites include: tahini miso dressing, pesto, hummus and, duh, romesco.
This romesco sauce is super easy — you will need a food processor, but it only takes 5 ingredients and minimal time, especially if your cashews are already toasted. With a some veggies, chickpeas and brown rice, it makes for an easy vegan lunch.
Romesco Sauce (Vegan)
Makes about 1 cup
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 3-4 whole roasted red peppers (from the jar) torn into strips
or 3/4 cup of sliced roasted red peppers
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt, to taste
- Toast cashews: Place cashews in a dry pan over a medium heat. Cook for 5-10 minutes, tossing frequently, until golden and toasty. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place peppers, garlic, paprika and cashews in a food processor and blend. (It’s ok if some of the liquid from the pepper jar gets into the mix.) Add a bit of salt, and process until almost smooth, but a little chunky. Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for 5 days. Or you can freeze for a longer shelf life.
Roasted Nourish Bowls
Note: this is more of a suggestion than a recipe. You can add different grains, vegetables and protein. I love the idea of a fried egg or some crumbled feta here.
- Cauliflower florets, roasted
- Carrot coins, roasted
- Asparagus, roasted
- Cooked brown rice
- Cooked chickpeas
- Shredded Kale
- Parsley for garnish
- Make sure your vegetables are cut into bite-sized pieces. Arrange all ingredients in a decent-sized bowl.
- Sprinkle with parsley and spoon romesco sauce over. Serve with extra romesco on the side.
0 Flares 0 Flares ×