The summer salad game is strong around here. It always amazes me how salad-crazy I get this time of year. I crave crunchy, creamy, bright and filling salads most days and revel in coming up with new combos based on what’s looking delicious at the market. And peaches are calling my name right now.
Fabian made the most perfect dessert the other night with sliced peaches, blueberries and fresh whipped cream with a little maple pecan granola on top. It was so simple and perfect.
While I wouldn’t call this salad simple, I would say it’s easy to prepare, highlights the beautiful peaches, and makes a great lunch or dinner salad. It would go well with some grilled chicken or a crusty baguette on the side too.
Peach Stilton Salad
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 ½ cups chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- Salt , to taste
- 2 tablespoons low-sugar BBQ sauce , plus more to taste
- 1 romaine heart , chopped
- A small handful fresh mint leaves
- A small handful fresh basil leaves
- ½ red onion , very thinly sliced
- ½ cup cucumber peeled and quartered and cut into small chunks
- 2 radishes , thinly sliced
- 1 ripe peach , pitted and sliced
- Toasted walnuts
- Crumbled stilton or blue cheese of choice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper , to taste
Heat a large pan or skillet over a medium high heat. Add avocado oil and warm through. Add chickpeas with a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring once or twice, for 3 to 4 minutes, until sizzling and turning golden. Stir in BBQ sauce and turn heat off. Taste for seasoning and set aside until ready to use.
Make the dressing by putting all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shaking to combine everything. Add a little water (start with 1 tablespoon) to thin out the consistency if needed. Taste for seasoning.
In a medium mixing bowl toss romaine, mint, basil, onion, cucumber, and radish with 1 to 2 spoonfuls of dressing until well coated. Divide between serving bowls and top with peaches, walnuts and blue cheese. Drizzle with more dressing and serve.