One thing I’ve got to stress (because it’s a big theme in my recipes) is how useful preparing food for the week ahead is.
On a Sunday afternoon, I’ll roast and saute up some vegetables to build meals around throughout the week. If I’m feeling extra-ambitious I’ll make a soup and cook a big batch of rice, but vegetables are a must.
This is great because:
a.) It only takes an hour of your time — and you’re getting it out of the way early.
b.) You have no excuse not to eat all the lovely vegetables you dropped your paycheck on at Wholefoods if they’re already cooked.
c.) It makes it easy to put together healthy lunches and dinners, making you feel satisfied, energized and all-around awesome. (Add them to salads, frittatas, soups, curries, stir fries, sandwiches…)
Roasted butternut squash
- Half or a whole butternut squash (or another winter squash/pumpkin of your choice), sliced into half-moon shapes
- Olive oil
- Heat oven to 400F/200C.
- Oil a baking tray.
- Arrange butternut slices on baking tray and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes until soft and browned in places. Cooking time depends on your oven and how big your squash slices are.
- 1 bunch of Tuscan kale, stems removed and sliced thinly
- 2 big handfuls of baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1-2 tablespoons pesto
- Heat a large skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Add kale and spinach leaves to the pan with a tablespoon of water and a good pinch of salt.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice to make sure everything is wilting down.
- Take lid off and put heat down to medium-low and cook until most of the liquid is evaporated.
- Take off heat and stir in pesto.
Butternut, Greens & Hummus Sandwich
- Sourdough bread, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Roasted butternut squash
- Pesto greens
- Toast sourdough a little (or a lot).
- Rub one side of each piece of toast with the garlic clove.
- Spread hummus on the garlic-rubbed side of each piece of toast.
- Top with pumpkin and greens.
- Sandwich that business together, slice in half and eat.